Your online presentation of your business is the first impression most people will have of you. You have less than two-tenths of a second to make that impression count! The biggest mistakes you can make are:
1) Not having a well designed, clearly recognizable logo. Your logo is the “face” of your brand. It should be simple and clean in design, but consistent with your business’s purpose and industry.
2) Not maintaining and updating your site. When people visit a website with out of date content and broken links, it looks like the business is failing, or even might have closed.
3) Not gearing your website toward your target market. If your target market is men between the ages of 35-50, you shouldn’t have a floral design or elaborate script fonts! You can’t target everyone! Make sure you have a clear plan and know who your ideal customer is.
4) Making your design too busy and complicated. Busy websites are hard to read, and potential clients aren’t going to sort through a messy design to find your content. Complicated sites also don’t translate well to tablets or phones.
5) Not having a responsive website design. Responsive design means that your website looks the same on different screens. Sixty percent of web access is mobile! Search engines also use your website’s mobile responsive capabilities as part of their algorithm to determine where your page will be ranked in search results.
6) Whatever else you do, if you REALLY want to ruin your business website, don’t have a clear call-to-action on your site! Leaving customers unsure about what you are marketing and how they should buy is the best way to get them to leave without contacting you!
7) Not having a professionally designed site. If your website looks like it was designed by an amateur, visitors will assume that the services you provide are also unprofessional!
What website mistakes drive you crazy? Have you visited a website that was so hard to navigate that you just gave up and went to a different business for the services you wanted?